The Pakistan Military Academy was established after the independence of Pakistan from the British Empire in October 1947. On 25 January 1948, “The First Pakistan Battalion” was raised. The battalion consists of four companies, which were named after “veterans of Muslim military history, namely Khalid, Tariq, Qasim and Salahuddin”.
In March 1948, the 1st Battalion was granted “the tutelage of the Quaid-e-Azam as Colonel-in-Chief and the most coveted claim of “The Quaid-e-Azam’s Apna”. Khwaja Nazimuddin presented the banner of Quaid-e-Azam to the Pakistan Military Academy on behalf of Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah. The banner of Quaid-e-Azam is put up by the champion company in every passing out parade.
“The regimental colors, introduced in 1950 by Liaquat Ali Khan, the first Prime Minister of Pakistan, and the national standard by General Muhammad Musa, the then Commander-in-Chief of the Pakistan Army in 1961, are some of the honors bestowed upon the Academy, of which he has always envied. Protected and kept high in character and spirit.” The 1965 war led to the expansion of the academy and the second battalion of the academy was formed in December 1965. This battalion consisted of four companies namely Tipu, Ghaznavi, Babur and Aurangzeb.
In early 1989, the Academy’s 3rd Battalion was established. The four companies of the 3rd Battalion are Haider, Ubaida, Saad and Hamza.
Leave a Reply